Sustainability, Human Rights and Community
At BGBB we have been pioneers in the creation of a highly specialized area in Sustainability, Human Rights and Communities. Our knowledge and experience in advising large national and international companies allows us to provide a complete service for the development of strategies to meet national and international standards of sustainability, international compliance and community relations, including indigenous communities.
Among other related issues, our community practice involves the provision of the following services:
- Strategic advice on community relations for the generation of agreements, early participation in environmental assessment processes and conflict resolution;
- Incorporation of international standards of human rights, biodiversity, environmental and indigenous law in the environmental approval process of projects;
- Elaboration of mechanisms for traceability of commitments and generation of reporting strategies;
- Advocacy for compliance with standards and the safeguarding of the guarantees of judicial, administrative and sanctioning due process before national courts (both environmental and ordinary courts) and international courts;
- Establishment of relationship processes and agreements with communities to ensure the viability of projects;
- Generation of prior relationship strategies and generation of community agreements with indigenous communities;
- Generation of risk matrix and risk management in terms of community and human rights;
- Tax planning of community relations expenses;
- Conducting due diligence on indigenous communities, land and water rights;
- Preparation of sustainability reports and compliance with ICMM, GRI, Dow Jones Sustainability Index and IRMA standards;
- Preparation and drafting of the Sustainability, Ethics and Human Rights Policy and preparation of Human Rights Impact Assessment reports (Human Rights Impact Assessment, including generation of human rights risk matrix according to IDDH and GRI standards).